Choosing Your New Water Softener
If you’ve ever lived anywhere with hard water, then you know how much of a strain it can put on your plumbing system, not to mention just be a general pain to deal with. From buildup on your appliances and faucets to damaging your clothes, hair, and even your skin, hard water can be a strain on your home.
Luckily, most homeowners can tackle hard water with a water softener installation. However, if replacing salt frequently isn’t something you’re interested in, there are other water filtration systems that can tackle your hard water without the same upkeep. In this article, plumbing experts offer convenient filtration alternatives to your traditional water softener.
How Do Reverse Osmosis Systems Work?
If you have to deal with the annoyance of hard water and have decided to purchase a water conditioning system, you’ve already taken the first step. The next one is deciding which type and system is best for you and your home.
One of the more popular choices is a reverse osmosis system. Even if you already have a water softener, the truth is sometimes impurities can remain in your drinking water. This is where a reverse osmosis system comes into play.
This system uses a semi-permeable membrane to filter your water. It’s especially useful for reducing sodium and salt in your water. Some of the benefits of a reverse osmosis system can include:
- Taste: Because they eliminate most of the minerals from water, reverse osmosis systems produce water that tastes clean and pure.
- Efficiency: While reverse osmosis systems have a limit to how much water they can filter in a certain amount of time, and may not be as fast as other systems, it’s one of the best ways to purify water inexpensively.
- Quality: Reverse osmosis systems remove so many impurities from the water that it’s almost entirely pure. This can be great for water taste, but some minerals are helpful for health and diet.
- Maintenance: Reverse osmosis systems are easy to take care of, as they only need regular filter changes.
Reverse osmosis systems can be a great way to remove minerals from your water, making your home more comfortable and cleaner.
Leverage Magnetic Water Softeners
Another type of water softener system you may want to consider is a magnetic water softener. A magnetic water softener uses electromagnetic coils to help separate some minerals out of your water, especially minerals that cause hard water, such as calcium and magnesium.
Though it’s important to note that it can only purify the water that comes into contact with the coils. Magnetic water softeners can be a great choice for some homes, but not all homes, so it's best to do your research and contact a professional to see if it can help purify the water in your residence.
Some of the benefits of this type of water softener are:
- Cost: They tend to be less expensive than many of the other options available on the market, including standard, salt-based ones.
- Lifespan: This type of system has a fantastic lifespan, upwards of 40 years!
- Water Quality: Because this system doesn’t use salt, it doesn’t add any sodium to your water, making it safe to drink and to use on your house plants.
Finally, there are salt-free options. It’s important to note that these ones aren’t true water softeners, which is why you’ll often see them called water conditioners or descalers.
But they can help decrease limescale and other chemicals. Like magnetic systems, salt-free solutions aren’t the best choice for every house, but they might be for yours.
Some of their benefits can include:
- Save Water: This type of system doesn’t waste water the way a traditional salt system does.
- Better Water Texture: Conditioned water doesn’t have the “slippery” feel that softened water does.
- Maintenance Free: Salt-free systems don’t require electricity to run, don’t need you to purchase salt, and don’t have any wastewater to deal with.
With any system, it’s good to know what will work best with your home and its specific needs. You can also consider getting a water analysis done to know which system may work best for you.
Trust the Professionals
Pro Service Mechanical has been serving Saskatoon since 2008. They offer 24/7 emergency support for when you need an experienced pro and just can’t wait. They believe that your home and office deserve to be the most comfortable for you and your needs. They also offer financing options and an owner guarantee!